There are many childhood activities that now are geared toward adult recreation. From coloring books lining store shelves to the endless apps for our phones it is clear that the new trend of childhood activities for adults is here to stay. There is one clear reason for this - stress! Since we are all being bombarded with technology daily, many of us are looking for a care free simple activity to just have fun and take our minds offline. Check out these activities to bring us back to a simpler time.
1. Trampoline Gyms. Trampoline gyms are popping up everywhere and they aren’t just for the kids. Most of these gyms have adult only hours to allow hours of jumping through the air, enjoying a date night or just having some fun with friends.
2. Summer camp for adults. There are whole summer camps dedicated to adults now, from arts and crafts to boating. These are places for adults to mingle and have a carefree vacation. On a smaller scale, there are plenty of one night trips offered for camping, white water rafting or hiking, tailored toward solo campers or those with a partner.
3. Roller Skating or Ice Skating. Find your local skating rink and go for a spin on the floor. These rinks often have adult only hours, which may or may not include black lights and blaring 80s music!
4. Snow tubing. This is great winter fun without the risk of breaking a leg on a snowboard. Tons of adults are on board for this one already. Most ski resorts offer a large snow tubing area. And many have a fire going outside and hot chocolate to warm up with. Check out Hunter mountain or Camelback, both less than 2 hrs from NYC.
5. Crafts. This is not just limited to those fancy coloring books in the stores. Pick up a new craft you are interested in. You don’t have to be an expert at it to enjoy something. With the popular paint night bars and also ceramic studios popping up there are options for everyone. If you aren’t feeling social, you can learn how to do anything on YouTube. With the advantage of a pause button and rewinding you can master a skill in no time. I learned how to crochet hats in a day! Also check out local colleges for adult continuing education classes offering everything from photography to creative writing.
6. Bowling. When was the last time you went to a bowling alley?! There is nothing like the sound of the pins being knocked down while having some nachos with friends. Go on a Saturday night for the glow-and-bowl (tip wear white to glow)!